The Boston Home's Giving Societies honor those whose generosity and commitment have sustained our mission of compassionate care and innovative life enhancing programs since 1881. While these Giving Societies have been created in appreciation of the philanthropists who helped to establish The Boston Home in its early days, they continue to grow, along with The Boston Home community, through the induction of new members who support our mission today.
For more information about Giving Societies, please contact Victoria Stevens, Director of Communications, 617-326-4310 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Established in honor of Cordelia Harmon who co-founded The Boston Home with Phillips Brooks, Rector Trinity Church, Boston, in 1881. Cordelia Harmon dedicated her life to serving those in need. Harmon realized her vision for a more compassionate way of caring for people with long-term illnesses and disabilities through the establishment of The Boston Home. Upon Harmon's death, Phillips Brooks wrote, “She was a good, true woman, and the amount of help which she has given to the poor, and comfort to the suffering is incalculable…It was a hard life, but I do not know where we could see a more useful one.”
Established in honor of Philips Brooks, who was the Rector of Trinity Church, Boston, a well-known author and orator, and the co-founder of The Boston Home. Following Cordelia Harmon’s death in 1883, Phillips Brooks was instrumental in securing the long-term legacy of The Boston Home by garnering the support of Boston philanthropists. Upon his death in 1893, Phillips Brooks left a bequest of $1,000 to The Boston Home, which helped to form the basis of the endowment that continues to provide support today. It was the only such provision in his will.
Established in honor of the Cotting Family, whose dedication to The Boston Home contributed to decades of growth and innovation. Mrs. Ruth Cotting's 1926 bequest of $50,000 benefited The Boston Home at a critical moment of growth as the organization embarked on the 1926-7 capital campaign to construct a new building, which The Boston Home continues to occupy today. Mrs. Cotting's son, Charles E. Cotting was a President of The Boston Home Board of Trustees and served as a dedicated Trustee for many years, from 1927-1984. The Boston Home's Charles E. Cotting building is named in his honor.
Established in honor of the Codman Family. Charles R. Codman was the first President of The Boston Home Board of Trustees. A portion of The Boston Home's current campus was once the site of the former Codman Farm.
Established in honor of the Weld Family. Mrs. William Weld's gift of $10,000, c.1916, served to expand The Boston Home's property through the purchase of adjoining land, which ultimately allowed for the growth of the home with the construction of a new building a decade later.
The Legacy Society recognizes the generosity of individuals who support The Boston Home through a bequest. The Legacy Society carries forward our founders' vision of compassionate care for The Boston Home community today and tomorrow.
Established in honor of Frederick L. Ames, who donated more than twenty acres of land in 1911 for the expansion of The Boston Home campus, the Compassion Society honors those who contribute to The Boston Home through in-kind support and the generous gift of their time and service.