Tired of the same routine? Would you like to make new friends?
As a volunteer, you can enrich your life and the lives of people who need your help. The Boston Home residents and day program participants look forward to meeting you. The Boston Home, at the corner of Dorchester Avenue and Gallivan Boulevard, is a long-term care facility for adults with physical disabilities, primarily multiple sclerosis and related neurological diseases. We also run a day program, B.Fit! The Boston Home is committed to creating opportunities in which volunteers can really get involved.
No matter what your schedule and interests—photography, gardening, computers, arts and crafts, etc. you can make a difference. So, if you’re tired of the same old routine, add a little variety to your life and volunteer.
Our residents participants have indicated the following as some of the areas where they would like the assistance of a volunteer:
- Visit with residents either individually or in small groups: in many instances we would like to match individual residents with a volunteer to develop a long term personal relationship
- Small tasks in resident’s room: water plants, straighten clothes, books, music, videos, etc.Play games with individuals or groups: cards, board games, etc.
- Correspondence: addressing envelopes, writing notes or cards, etc.
- Read to residents: books, mail, magazines, otherArts and crafts
- Listen to music or watch movies
- Run errands
- Accompany residents on walks: around the grounds, the neighborhood or to local destinations
- Computer: one to one assistance, teaching, e-mail correspondence, etc.
- Assist Activities Department with scheduled on-site programs or at local events outside The Boston Home
- Share your own special skills and talents
- A volunteer assists during watercolor class at The Boston Home
If you are able to help in any of these areas or would like to volunteer your talents in some other manner, please contact Sally Gorman, Coordinator of Volunteers, at (617) 326.4299, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.